Strategic Plan 2021-2024
The City will ensure stability by maximizing its resource use through financial management policies, land use, and forecasting. To assist the Mayor and City Council, a five-year forecast of the City’s General and Enterprise Funds is included in the City’s budget document to illustrate the financial impact of their decisions. On November 23, 2021, the Mayor and Council adopted their new Goals & Priorities for 2021 through 2024. As outlined below, these priorities are categorized under ten “pillar” goals derived from the Mayor and Council’s Mission and Vision Statement, which was also approved by the elected body on November 23, 2021.
Vision Statement: The City of Hagerstown will inspire an inclusive, business-friendly, and sustainable community with clean, safe, and vibrant neighborhoods.
Mission Statement: The City of Hagerstown shall be a community-focused municipality.
The City will emphasize the following Focus Areas through the implementation of the Mayor & Council’s Strategic Plan:
- Neighborhoods Revitalization & Sustainability
- Public Safety
- Public Facilities and Infrastructure
- Economic Development
- Citizen-Based Government
- Fiscal Accountability
- Parks & Recreation for Active/Healthy Living
- Innovative/Progressive Government
- Community Promotion/Pride
- Economic Development through Sports and Tourism
- Misc. Projects, Goals, and Legislative Priorities
NEIGHBORHOODS REVITALIZATION & SUSTAINABILITY
The citizens of Hagerstown will experience a high quality of life.
- Identify and prioritize blighted structures and rehabilitation of these parcels to allow placement back on the real property tax roll.
- Sustaining and improving Planning, Code, and Zoning policies and laws for continued neighborhood protection.
- Promote neighborhood-based services and citizen engagement by defining neighborhood boundaries and identities and by expanding Neighborhoods 1st programming.
- Continue to improve conditions in neighborhoods by working with owners, tenants, and investors utilizing the Rental Facilities and Vacant Structures programs.
- Promote neighborhoods that demonstrate community pride on a regular basis
- Develop partnerships to create a public housing plan and diversify housing balance
- Strategic Community Revitalization Approach
The City of Hagerstown ensures that all who live, work, and play in the City of Hagerstown will be healthy and safe.
- Support the manpower and capital needs of the City Police, Fire, Code, and Public Works Departments.
- Focus attention and resources on recruitment and retention in the Police Department.
- Sustain a focus on the City Fire System and the all-hazards mission.
- Work with State delegation and community stakeholders to develop legislation and programs to address gangs, violence, drug activity, and juvenile crimes. Invest in Youth Violence Prevention Initiative.
- Continue focus on the opioid epidemic by collaborating with community stakeholders and through the continuing opioid litigation.
- Explore 24-Hour Crisis Center in partnership with hospital, health department, and other partners
PUBLIC FACILITIES AND INFRASTRUCTURE
The City of Hagerstown will maintain quality services and infrastructure that support residents and businesses in a cost-effective manner.
- Planning to construct a third parking deck and incorporate new technologies that provide and promote a more customer-oriented parking experience throughout the City-owned parking facilities and lots.
- Implementation of Stormwater Restoration Plan and continually review fee structure.
- Support the current improvement plan for the Breichner Water Plant, Edgemont Reservoir, and surrounding watershed properties.
- Using the data from an updated street Pavement Condition Survey, make future pavement maintenance decisions.
- Support MML Legislative priority to restore HUR permanently
- Ensure sustainability of our water/wastewater distribution and apply industry best management practices.
- Reserve water/wastewater capacity for the city and its growth priorities.
The City of Hagerstown has a diverse, business-friendly economy that supports the community's needs.
- Implement the Community's City Center Plan to promote economic development and strong neighborhoods
- Review Pre-annexation agreements and continue to explore new possibilities for annexation opportunities.
- Continued marketing of City-owned properties to the private sector, attracting tenants to available space in City-owned property and managing lease agreements and lease renewals.
- Business Retention, Expansion, and Attraction.
- Continued administration of incentive programs, including the Invest Hagerstown Grant.
- Engage in an updated community center city plan
The City of Hagerstown is an ethical and financially responsible government.
- Promote awareness and understanding of the City's finances through accessible and easy-to-use data presentations.
- Continue to support the Main Street Program and those volunteer groups.
- Grow a foundation of active and engaged residents to serve on various City boards and commissions.
- Improve access to City website information for mobile device users.
- Create text message opportunities to promote events, meetings, and important alerts
- Continue and enhance the Hagerstown Youth Council
- Support A&E Committee
The City of Hagerstown will strive for continuous improvement of fiscally responsible decision-making.
- Grow assessable base (see Neighborhood Revitalization & Sustainability).
- Promote improvements to the State tax assessment and appeals process.
- Continue to strive for the most efficient management of departmental resources and expense controls.
- Evaluate the future structure and delivery of City services within the availability of our community's financial resources and in response to the needs of Hagerstown's citizens and businesses.
- Continued review of fiscal policies and made recommendations for any changes.
- Continue work on the Utility Rates structures for Water, Wastewater, and Stormwater.
- Address staffing in all departments including competitive salary.
PARKS & RECREATION FOR ACTIVE/HEALTHY LIVING
The City of Hagerstown supports a rich, social, and culturally vibrant community.
- Construct a Splash Pad.
- Continue to develop and expand programs through the Parks & Recreation Division to increase active, healthy living for our citizens.
- Continue developing programs that add public art annually throughout City neighborhoods, parks, and public gathering places.
- Invest in Public Art Commissions efforts to increase public are in the City
- Make public space inviting and a focal point
- Develop a Wheaton Park Improvement Plan
- Grow interconnected pedestrian walkability
INNOVATIVE/ PROGRESSIVE GOVERNMENT
The City of Hagerstown is committed to employee development, excellence in services, and adapting to meet the needs of the community and the organization.
- High focus on Customer Service innovations to enhance the customer service experience.
- Full Service / 24-hour access to City services through implementing a customer kiosk in the Downtown area.
- Provide the ability to apply for all types of city permits online, with 24/7 access.
- Charter and City Code amendment review. (Possible creation of Ad-Hoc committee).
- Human Resource technology focuses on ways to automate or streamline routine tasks
- Support and explore energy sustainability options
COMMUNITY PROMOTION / PRIDE
The City of Hagerstown will take the lead in improving our Community Image by releasing factual, timely, and transparent messaging.
- Creation of an Image/Marketing Plan
- Taking image management and enhancement messaging outside of Hagerstown and Washington County.
- Utilize all means of media outlets and partners to promote our messaging, including our own studio and the help of organizations such as MML, trade shows, professional conferences, Chamber, etc.
- City-hosted block parties, diversity events, and other inclusive, unique opportunities
- City hosted Neighborhood Cleanup Events
- Development of the Mayoral Ambassador Program across all communities outside of the N1 program
- Host public meetings in the community
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT THROUGH SPORTS AND TOURISM
The City of Hagerstown will be creative and diversify opportunities for Economic Development through nontraditional means.
- Indoor Sportsplex RFP and development by 2023, including property acquisition for redevelopment.
- Amphitheater exploration and RFP
- Finish Skateboard Park by 2022
- Support and expand opportunities at existing recreation facilities.
MISC PROJECTS, GOALS AND LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
The City of Hagerstown takes a creative approach to finding solutions.
- Enhance community partnerships to help address homeless issues, including the housing crisis, mental health, and lack of year-round shelter
- Work to address food deserts
- Expand the Bridge to Change Program by working with other organizations
- Solutions-based meetings approach
- Expand “Operation Take Back” approach
- Neon Light Project and other “light up” promotions
- Find the solution for tax differential and fair fire funding or consider pulling resources
- Address long term MRGA water/wastewater plan
- Public Restrooms