The City collects household trash once each week, except in the City Center (Zone F) where it is collected twice per week. Normal household trash items shall be set at curbside no earlier than 4:00 p.m. the day before collection. See the Collection Schedules & Zones page for more information.
In general, trash is defined as residential items that cannot be recycled. This includes animal, fruit and vegetable waste resulting from the handling, storage, preparation, cooking and consumption of food; rags; cartons; rubber; leather; diapers; small appliances (if they are less than fifty (50) pounds in weight and do not contain refrigerant); and waste generated from normal residential household activities.
The City does not supply trash containers; that is the responsibility of the resident. The City does provide recycling totes for residents, but they cannot be used for household trash.
Disposal of needles (sharps)
If you have hypodermic needles that you need to dispose of, they should NEVER be loosely mixed in with your household trash. Please follow these steps to properly dispose of the needles:
- Contact the doctor that prescribed your medication, or the pharmacy that filled your prescription, to see if they have a needle disposal service or needle drop box.
- Needles may be placed in with your household trash if you follow proper procedures - click on the image below for Waste Management's requirements for disposing of sharps with your trash:
Other disposal options
If you would like to drop your needles off instead of putting them in your trash, some neighboring jurisdictions offer needle disposal services; contact the agencies below for details on their programs:
|Waynesboro Police Department||Greencastle Police Department|
|52 E. Main Street||60 N. Washington Street|
|Waynesboro, PA 17268||Greencastle, PA 17225|
|(717) 762-2132||(717) 597-9506|
|Mercersburg Police Department||Chambersburg Police Department|
|113 S. Main Street||116 S. 2nd Street|
|Mercersburg, PA 17236||Chambersburg, PA 17201|
|(717) 328-2221||(717) 264-4131|
Items not accepted
- Any items specifically restricted or prohibited by the receiving landfill
- Hazardous materials, used motor oil or antifreeze, liquid paint, biohazard materials, or items containing refrigerant
- Items collected under the "Bulk Trash" program including but not limited to: appliances and furniture over 50 pounds, tires, computer equipment and electronics, vehicle batteries, mattresses, building (construction) or demolition waste, etc.
- Recycling or trash from non-residential or out-of-City properties
- Containers or items weighing over 50 pounds
- Recycling or refuse from private streets or alleys unless expressly agreed to by the City @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>