Police Officer - Lateral / Certified
The Hagerstown Police Department holds open testing for experienced police officers and/or recently trained applicants from Maryland or any other state on a continual basis. See Testing page for testing information. Use the email link below to request additional information.
The Hagerstown Police Department is a full service, progressive, community-oriented and nationally accredited law enforcement agency. We are a full-service agency serving a population of approximately 40,000 citizens. Our patrol division is comprised of three patrol shifts working 10-hour days. works a compressed work schedule. The Department has several specialty units such as the Criminal Investigation Division, Narcotics Task Force, K-9, Warrant Squad, Special Response Team (SWAT), Crisis Negotiators and several School Resource Officers. In addition to the benefits listed, officers who live within the city are eligible for the take-home car program.
* Women, minorities and military veterans are encouraged to apply.
Salary Range: $46,700 (After first year: $56,056.00). Top Base Pay (after 15 years of service): $81,078.40.
Current and former police officers may be placed higher on the salary scale based on years of sworn service.
Annual Salary Schedule
Applicants with prior training and/or experience meeting at least one of the following requirements are eligible for a signing bonus.
- Possess current Maryland certification as a police officer.
- Have been certified in MD within 5 years prior to selection.
- Have successfully completed an approved Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission (MPTSC) entry level training program within 2 years prior to selection.
- Have been employed as a police officer within the last 5 years in another state and have completed a basic police officer entrance level training program deemed by the MPTSC to be comparative to Maryland entry level training requirements.*
- Have completed a basic police officer entrance level training program meeting the above MPTSC requirements within the last 2 years.*
* Verification of comparative compliance will be performed at the beginning of the application process.
Lateral Applicant Signing Bonuses
Applicants who meet any of the above requirements are eligible for the following signing bonuses:
- $20,000 for current Maryland police officers, former Maryland officers who are eligible for immediate recertification, and applicants who have completed a Maryland approved entry level police training program and are eligible for immediate certification.
- $10,000 for applicants with comparable entrance level training from another state, or former Maryland officers who are eligible for recertification after comparative compliance training.