The Hagerstown Police Department continues to recruit for lateral/certified police applicants as well as entry level police officer candidates for positions to be filled for the July 2022 police academy
The Hagerstown Police Department is a professional, nationally accredited law enforcement agency and is seeking highly motivated men and women for Police Officer positions.
Hagerstown Police Officers perform routine service and law enforcement work involving a variety of general or support duty police assignments. Work may be performed under emergency conditions and frequently involves personal hazard work.
The Hagerstown Police Department provides law enforcement-related services to approximately 40,000 residents across 13 square miles. City officers respond to calls for service as necessary and utilize partnerships to solve problems and to deal with issues affecting the safety and quality of life in all city neighborhoods. Hagerstown is the county seat of Washington County MD located just miles from both the PA and WV lines. Police Officers do not have to live in the State of Maryland to work for the Hagerstown Police Department.
Laterals - Up to $20,000 Hiring Bonus
Lateral transfers of Police Officers from other police organizations who are certified by the State of Maryland or from other states that are recognized by the Maryland Training Commission as having a comparable entrance level academy may be given credit for years of service performed as a certified police officer based on actual police experience and environment.
Entry level candidates will be hired by the City of Hagerstown with full salary and benefits while they wait for the police academy to start, and through the length of the academy prior to becoming a sworn officer.
Hagerstown Police Department Officers enjoy an excellent benefits package that includes:
Entry level salary is $46,700 with contractual increases throughout your career.
To be considered for employment for a police officer position, you must be able to meet the following standards:
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be age 21 at the time of your graduation from the police academy
- Possess a valid driver’s license with an overall good driving record
- Excellent physical and mental health as determined by comprehensive examinations
- Be able to pass a written police examination
- Be able to pass a background and security check, be of good moral character, with no felony convictions or misdemeanor convictions for which a sentence of imprisonment for one year or more could have been imposed.
- Not be a current user of illegal drugs.
Applicants cannot become a police officer in the State of Maryland if they have:
- Ever committed, been involved in or convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor.
- Ever illegally sold, produced, cultivated, distributed, or transported a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana. Illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana for any purpose within the 3 years prior to application for certification.
- Illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana while employed as a law enforcement officer.
- Ever used heroin, cocaine, meth, crack, phencyclidine (PCP), or lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), mushrooms, designer drugs.
- Used any controlled dangerous substance or narcotic drug more than five times, or one time since becoming 21 years old.
- Used marijuana more than 20 times, or five times since becoming 21 years old.
The entire regulation governing the hiring and certification of police officers can be found here:
Complete the Online Form
This is the first step in the selection and hiring process. Please click the “Join HPD” button and fill out the form. A recruiter will be in contact with you soon to let you know the date of the next available test.
Written Examination, Physical Fitness Test and Panel Interview
We have a comprehensive test day where you can take the written examination, physical agility test and administrative interview all in one location and on the same day.
You must receive a score of 70% or higher to pass the written exam. A standard physical agility test will be administered immediately following the successful passing of the written examination. You must receive a minimum passing score in each category to successfully pass this physical fitness test. Requirements for the fitness test are as follows:
- 27 sit-ups in one minute
- 8 push-ups in one minute
- 1.5 mile run in 15 minutes 20 seconds
On completion of the physical agility test, successful candidates will participate in a panel interview.
Selected candidates must submit to and undergo an extensive background investigation.
Applicants will be required to undergo a medical examination, drug screening, polygraph examination and psychological screening.
Offer of Employment
An offer of employment will be presented upon completion of the employment testing including all of the above screenings.
Training and Probationary Period
The police officer position has a 12 month probationary period effective the date of successful completion of all mandated police training. Training includes:
- Maryland Police Training Academy
- Successful completion of the agency’s Field Training Program