Civil Emergency Operations
The Mayor has issued a Declaration of Civil Emergency due to the rapid spread of COVID-19 and the Governor’s Emergency Orders and Executive Orders aimed at slowing the spread of the virus and protecting our citizens. As a result, City Hall is currently closed to the public but staff are still in the building to assist you with your projects.
There are several ways you can receive answers to your questions, make applications, request inspections, and report concerns:
- Questions will still be answered by phone or email. Calls can be made to 301-790-4163. For a staff contact list please click on the link below: https://www.hagerstownmd.org/directory.aspx?did=12
- Applications for site plans, building/trade permits, fences, licenses, right-of-way closures, and any other types processed by our office will be accepted through mail, fax, or email.
- Permit inspections will continue as normal while City Hall is closed to the public, with two exceptions:
- City staff will not enter the interior of occupied residential structures or facilities for inspections.
- City staff are offering virtual inspections for occupied residential structures, which will be available on April 13.
- Please contact the inspector for that trade if you have any questions related to the permit inspection.
- Rental License inspections will be postponed until 30 days after the Maryland State of Emergency has been lifted. Please continue to contact our office when you have inspection requests. Inspectors will be informing property owners or management companies if the inspection has been postponed or waived.
- Reported concerns to our office will continue to be addressed accordingly. Exterior concerns will be investigated and interior concerns will be reported to the property owner or management company.
- Late fees associated with licensing requirements, permit requirements, and citations will be waived through May 1, 2020. Check with Code Administration staff on deadlines for compliance with code violation notices.
- Check the links below for how the Civil Emergency status is affecting schedules and the method of holding meetings for Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, and Historic District Commission meetings. All other City Board and Commission meetings will be cancelled during the City Civil Emergency. The City has already hosted one virtual meeting via Zoom for the April 1 Planning Commission meeting.
Our goal is to continue to provide each of our customers with the highest quality of service while closed to the public. If you have any questions at any time regarding your project or inspections, please call our office at 301-790-4163.