Civil Emergency Operations
The Mayor has issued a Declaration of Civil Emergency due to the rapid spread of COVID-19 and the Governor’s Emergency Orders and Executive Orders aimed at slowing the spread of the virus and protecting our citizens. As a result, City Hall is currently open to the public on the first floor and open to the public in the Planning and Code Administration Department by appointment only for site plan applications, building permit applications, and zoning inquiries. Anyone visiting our offices must wear a mask. All other applications are to be submitted by the means listed below.
There are several ways you can receive answers to your questions, make applications, request inspections, and report concerns:
- Questions will still be answered by phone or email. Permit questions can be made by calling 301-790-4163. For a staff contact list please click on the links below: https://www.hagerstownmd.org/directory.aspx?did=12 https://www.hagerstownmd.org/directory.aspx?did=26
- Applications for site plans, building/trade permits, fences, licenses, right-of-way closures, pre-annexation agreements (mail only), and any other types processed by our office can be accepted through mail, fax, email, drop box, or online.
- Permit inspections will continue as normal with one exception:
- City staff will not enter the interior of occupied residential structures or facilities for inspections on a case by case basis.
- City staff are offering virtual inspections for occupied residential structures if accommodations cannot be made for an onsite inspection
- Please contact the inspector for that trade if you have any questions related to the permit inspection.
- Rental License interior inspections resumed on July 13. Never inspected interior inspection requests are being postponed.
- Rental exterior inspections resumed on August 1.
- Reported concerns to our office will continue to be addressed accordingly.
- Late fees associated with licensing and permit requirements are being waived. Check with Code Administration staff on deadlines for compliance with code violation notices.
- Check the links below for how the Civil Emergency status is affecting schedules and the method of holding meetings for Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, and Historic District Commission meetings. The City had been hosting these meetings virtually via Zoom in April through June. In-person meetings resumed in July with Zoom capability still being offered. Meetings will return to virtual only beginning in December.
Our goal is to continue to provide each of our customers with the highest quality of service while safety precautions are in place when open to the public. If you have any questions at any time regarding your project or inspections, please call our office at 301-790-4163.