Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council
About the Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council
The Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council was established by the Hagerstown Mayor and City Council to give Hagerstown youth the opportunity to provide feedback and recommendations regarding community policies and programs that affect their future and to take a leadership role in creating meaningful change. Members of the Youth Advisory Council will have the opportunity to raise their voices and share their experiences with local dignitaries, agencies, and other youth!
In order to serve on the Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council youth must meet the below qualifications:
- Be a resident of the City of Hagerstown or attend a public/private high school or home-school located in the City of Hagerstown;
- Be currently enrolled in either an accredited public or private high school or home-school; and,
- Be entering the ninth, tenth, eleventh, or twelfth grade at the beginning of council program year.
Hagerstown Youth Advisory Councilmembers
- Casey Allison, Barbara Ingram School for the Arts
- Lauren Asbury, Chair, North Hagerstown High School
- Dee Atkinson, Barbara Ingram School for the Arts
- Zachary Brooks, North Hagerstown High School
- Kiandra Houser, Vice-Chair, South Hagerstown High School
- Tashera Lloyd, Secretary, South Hagerstown High School
- Maya Murthy, North Hagerstown High School
- Summer Seaward, Vice-Chair, Highland Academy
- Ethan VanMeter, South Hagerstown High School
Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council Partner Group
The Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council Partner Group was established by the Hagerstown Mayor and City Council to assist City Staff with the program and to serve as mentors and advisers to the youth councilmembers. Members of the Partner Group must be either affiliated, employed, or a board member for one of the following:
- a non-profit with a mission/function related to youth development/education/wellness/housing;
- a non-profit with a mission related to community diversity/culture; and/or,
- Washington County Board of Education.
2019-2020 Partner Group Members
- Pieter Bickford, Washington County Board of Education
- Linda Mercurio, OnTrack of Washington County
- Eric Rollins, Boys and Girls Club of Washington County
- Shana Ruff, Girls Inc. of Washington County
- Tony Williams, Beacon House
City of Hagerstown Staff Support
- Lauren Metz, Planning and Outreach Coordinator
- Jonathan Kerns, Community Development Manager
2019-2020 Meeting Schedule
All meetings of the Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council are held at the BuroBox. 60 W. Washington Street, Hagerstown, MD 21740 unless otherwise noted. All meetings are open to the public, however, public attendees may not have the opportunity to participate in the meeting. Meetings will typically be held on the first Thursday and third Monday of each month unless the third Monday is a holiday.
Thursday, October 10, 2019 - 6 PM
Thursday, October 24, 2019 - 5 PM
Thursday, November 7, 2019 - 6 PM
Monday, November 18, 2019 - 5 PM
Thursday, December 5, 2019 - 5 PM
Monday, December 16, 2019 - 6 PM
Thursday, January 9, 2020 - 6 PM
Thursday, January 23, 2020 - 5 PM
Thursday, February 6, 2020 - 6 PM
Thursday, February 20, 2020 - 5 PM
Want to Speak to the Council?
Any group that is interested in speaking with the Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council is encouraged to first reach out to Lauren Metz at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional details.
Any questions regarding the Hagerstown Youth Advisory Council can be forwarded to city staff at the Department of Community and Economic Development at either email@example.com or HYACadmin@hagerstownmd.org or 301-739-8577 ext. 820.