Police Officer - Lateral / Certified
The Hagerstown Police Department holds open testing for experienced police officers and/or recently trained applicants from Maryland or any other state on a continuous basis. See "Testing" page for testing information. Use the email link below to request additional information.
The Hagerstown Police Department is a full service, progressive, community-oriented and nationally accredited law enforcement agency. We are a full-service agency serving a population of approximately 40,000 citizens. Our patrol division is comprised of four patrol squads working 12-hour days and a dedicated Downtown Squad that patrols primarily on bicycles in our business and Arts & Entertainment district. The Department has several specialty units such as the Criminal Investigation Division, Narcotics Task Force, Flex Unit, K-9, Warrant Squad, Special Response Team (SWAT), Crisis Negotiators and several School Resource Officers. In addition to the benefits listed, officers who live within the city are eligible for the take-home car program.
- Women, minorities and military veterans are encouraged to apply.
Entrance Level: $40,106 + $5,000 Bonus**
3 Year Level: $40,860+ $5,000 Bonus Maryland 'Recognized' Certifications Only*
Top Base Pay: $60,195
* Lateral transfers of Police Officers from other police organizations who are certified by the State of Maryland or from other states that are recognized by the Maryland's Training Commission as having a comparable entrance level academy will receive up to 3 years of credit given at a 2:1 ratio. Meaning, for every two-years of service the city will offer one year of service credit. See the departmental recruiter for more information and details.
**If hired, the applicant will receive a $5,000 signing bonus in exchange for a minimum 2-year commitment.
Applicants with Maryland training and/or experience must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Possess current Maryland certification as a police officer.
- Have been certified within 5 years prior to selection.
- Have successfully completed an approved Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC) entry level training program within 2 years prior to selection.
- Have been employed as a police officer within the last 5 years and have completed a basic police officer entrance level training program deemed by the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC) as comparative to Maryland entry level training requirements.*
- Have completed a basic police officer entrance level training program meeting the above MPCTC requirements within the last 2 years.***
Interested applicants may contact the Department Recruiting Coordinator to obtain further information at 301-790-3700 ext. 305.