Police Officer - Lateral / Certified
The Hagerstown Police Department holds open testing for experienced police officers and/or recently trained applicants from Maryland or any other state on a continual basis. See "Testing" page for testing information. Use the email link below to request additional information.
The Hagerstown Police Department is a full service, progressive, community-oriented and nationally accredited law enforcement agency. We are a full-service agency serving a population of approximately 40,000 citizens. Our patrol division is comprised of four patrol squads working 12-hour days. The Department has several specialty units such as the Criminal Investigation Division, Narcotics Task Force, K-9, Warrant Squad, Special Response Team (SWAT), Crisis Negotiators and several School Resource Officers. In addition to the benefits listed, officers who live within the city are eligible for the take-home car program.
* Women, minorities and military veterans are encouraged to apply.
Entrance Level: $40,106
3 Year Level: $40,860
Top Base Pay: $60,797 (at 22 years of service)
Applicants with prior training and/or experience meeting at least one of the following requirements are eligible to start at the 3rd year level and are eligible for a $5,000 signing bonus:
- Possess current Maryland certification as a police officer.
- Have been certified in MD within 5 years prior to selection.
- Have successfully completed an approved Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC) entry level training program within 2 years prior to selection.
- Have been employed as a police officer within the last 5 years in another state and have completed a basic police officer entrance level training program deemed by the MPCTC to be comparative to Maryland entry level training requirements.*
- Have completed a basic police officer entrance level training program meeting the above MPCTC requirements within the last 2 years.*
* Verification of comparative compliance will be performed at the beginning of the application process.