Requirements , Prior Substance Abuse by Applicants for Certification and Physical Testing (PT) Standards
To qualify to take our test, you must be a U.S. Citizen, have a High School Diploma or certificate of GED recognized by the Maryland Board of Education, have a valid driver’s license from any state, and you must be 21 years of age or reach age 21 by academy graduation.
Eyesight correctable to at least 20/30 in each eye.
All applicants are required to meet the selection requirements of the Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commission (MPCTC) and Hagerstown Police Department. The selection process includes a thorough background investigation mandated by Maryland law. Part of that background investigation includes a close examination of the potential applicant's prior substance abuse.
Prohibition to certification to be a police officer in Maryland:
An individual is ineligible for initial certification as a police officer in Maryland if the individual has:
(1) Been convicted or otherwise found guilty of selling, manufacturing, or distributing a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana;
(2) Ever illegally sold, produced, cultivated, distributed, or transported a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana;
(3) Illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana for any purpose within the 3 years before application for certification;
(4) Ever illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana for other than experimentation as specified under §D of this regulation; or
(5) Ever illegally used a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana while employed to enforce federal, State, or local law by any government entity.
Experimentation is defined by State of Maryland as the following:
The illegal use of a controlled dangerous substance, narcotic drug, or marijuana is not experimentation if the applicant:
(1) Ever used:
- Phencyclodine (PCP); or
- Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD); or
(2) Other than heroin, PCP, LSD, or marijuana, used any controlled dangerous substance or narcotic drug, or any combination of controlled dangerous substances or narcotic drug that exceeds:
- A total of five times; or
- One time since becoming 21 years old; or
(3) Used marijuana:
- More than 20 times; or
- Five times since becoming 21 years old.
The entire regulation governing the hiring and certification of police officers can be found here:
All applicants are required to pass a pre-employment fitness test. The Hagerstown Police Department has adopted the Cooper Institute Absolute Standard Test for this component of the selection process. To view the physical qualification test, please click here.