Dog Policy & Dog Park
Dogs are permitted in all City parks provided they abide by the Washington County Animal Control Ordinance and the rules below. Dogs are not permitted in children’s play areas and pavilions occupied by others. See the City Park Dog Walking Map and the Fairgrounds Park Dog Walking Map for additional restrictions at those two parks.
Dogs and their custodians must obey the “Animal Control Ordinance” as adopted by Washington County (Ordinance # 2012-33, effective January 1, 2013) or be subject to the penalties/fines in that Ordinance. The City recommends that all dog owners review that Ordinance(attached here), and we wish to emphasize the following guidelines for the behavior of dogs and their owners in the parks of the City of Hagerstown (‘Articles’ referenced below are from the Animal Control Ordinance):
- Dog owners/custodians are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries caused by their dogs.
- Dog owners/custodians must have control of their dogs at all times.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times (Article V, Section 27). Leashes are to be a maximum of six (6) feet in length.
- Dog owners/custodians must remain in the permitted perimeter areas of the park.
- Dog owners/custodians must immediately clean up after their dogs (Article V, Section 28).
- Dogs with a known history of or who exhibit dangerous behavior are prohibited (Article V, Section 35, 36 and others).
- Dogs must be healthy, fully immunized, de-wormed, licensed and wearing ID tags.
- Children under age 12 that are custodians for a dog must be closely supervised by the adult.
- Dogs in heat are prohibited (Article V, Section 30).
- Only two (2) dogs per custodian are allowed.
(Last Revised October 30, 2012)
Dog Dos and Don'ts brochure - download
Dog Park Rules and Regulations
- Dog owners are responsible for their dog’s behavior. The City of Hagerstown is not liable for any injuries to dogs, their owners / handlers or to others within the dog park.
- Dogs outside the dog park must be on a leash and under the control of the owner at all times.
- Owners / handlers must clean up after their dog and place the waste in the appropriate containers within the park.
- Owners must take off the leash once inside the entry area and have the leash within their possession at all times.
- Owners must be inside the dog park with their dog at all times. No dogs without people, no people without dogs.
- All dogs must be wearing a collar at all times with a valid rabies tag. Residents of Washington County must also have a valid Washington County License Tag per Washington County law.
- Each handler must be a minimum of 18 years old and may not bring more than two dogs at one time.
- No children under the age of 12 are allowed in the dog park.
- No dogs less than 4 months of age.
- No female dogs in heat.
- No sick dogs.
- Dogs showing aggression toward people or other dogs must be muzzled and / or leashed and escorted out of the dog park by its owner / handler.
- No food, treats or beverages allowed inside the dog park.
- No animals other than dogs allowed in the park.
- Please discourage excessive barking and digging. If a dog digs, owners / handlers should fill in any holes created.
WE WANT TO KEEP THIS OFF-LEASH AREA OPEN FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT.
IF YOU NOTICE SOMEONE NOT OBEYING THESE RULES, KINDLY REMIND THEM THIS PARK IS HERE FOR EVERYONE’S ENJOYMENT!
THIS DOG PARK IS A PRIVILEGE. USE OF THIS PARK CAN BE REVOKED.
*NOTICE: The large-size dog side of the dog park will be closed for approximately 3 weeks beginning Tuesday, April 18, 2017 for the re-seeding of grass. During that time, we thank you for your cooperation in sharing the small-sized dog side of the park. The need for re-seeding shows how much large dogs in Hagerstown love the dog park, and we aim to keep the facility nice for your enjoyment in the season ahead. Thanks for your support and understanding. *
The City’s off-leash dog park is located in beautiful Fairgrounds Park, and compliments the many active recreational activities in the Park.
The dog park is open daily the same hours as Fairgrounds Park, 6:00 AM to 10:00 PM.
This area is not supervised. Owners / Handlers are legally responsible for their dog(s) at all times. The City of Hagerstown assumes no responsibility for liability for conduct of dog(s) or their owners / handlers. The City, in conjunction with the Washington County Humane Society reserves the right to remove a dog from the park.
Directions from Route 40
From Route 40 – turn onto Cleveland Avenue. Continue about 0.4 miles and go straight across Jefferson Street and enter Fairgrounds Park. Make a left at the “tee” in the Park. Handicapped-accessible parking is in the lot to the left (adjacent the park) or ample overflow parking is to the right. Follow signs to dog park.